Watch The Recording:
Influencer News Update:
- FTC Rules that Selling Followers and Likes is Illegal, Along with Posting Fake Reviews Article by Andrew Hutchinson [source = Social Media Today]
- This week, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Florida businessman German Calas, Jr. $2.5 million over the sale of “fake indicators of social media influence”.
- They also issued a warning to Sunday Riley, whom the FTC says had written fake reviews of her company’s products on Sephora’s website. She had also ordered her employees to do the same.
- Both of these cases could greatly affect the broader digital marketplace.
- Think of how many people that you know that have purchased fake followers, pay for engagement, and write fraudulent reviews on places such as Amazon.
- Last year, Devumi was the main point of focus in a major New York Times investigation.
- The investigation found that the company had been guilty of selling likes and followers to a range of celebrities and online influencers to inflate their perceived “influence”.
- Devumi was forced to close up shop after the NYT expose had been released.
- In summary, all of these cases set new legal parameters for action against fake social media engagement sellers.
- This will hopefully deter any other influencers and celebrities from thinking about using these services as well as make people think twice before selling fake engagement.
About the Influencer Guest(s):
This week’s Influencer Guest, Don Yaeger, is the son of a Methodist minister who was born and raised in Hawaii. He and his wife Jeanette, and their two children, ages 11 and 10, live in Tallahassee, Florida today. Don has been active on a number of charity boards and currently sits on the national board for the Make-A-Wish America Foundation.
Don’s reputation as a world-class storyteller gave him the platform to share lessons of high performance on a variety of talk shows – from Good Morning America to Fox & Friends, Nightline to CNN — even the Oprah Winfrey Show!
Listen to the Podcast:
View Upcoming Events
Subscribe to Podcast:
Connect WITH us on Social Media:
- Dean DeLisle
- Jackson DeLisle
- Monica Hacker
View Past Episodes
Theme Music Produced by Sonixphere
Video Production by Social Jack™ Productions
Social Media Engagement by Social Jack™ Influencer Team
Voice-Over by Laila Wenrich
Sponsored by Planable
Brought to you by Social Jack™